Friday, April 20, 2012

Please Change Clothes Immediately After Church

Like many "Christians", my family and I often go out for lunch or dinner following a worship service (maybe it's the Baptist in me).  And I have a confession to make: I wish many church members would either (a) not go to a restaurant immediately following a worship service; or (b) change their clothes (get out of their "church clothes") before they go.

After reading that, you're probably thinking, "Why on earth would he care about who goes to a restaurant after church?  And why does he care about what we wear?"

On more than one occasion, I've entered a restaurant to observe over-worked, under-paid employees trying to serve and appease grouchy, self-centered, complaining, impossible-to-please church members - all of whom are fresh from "worshiping the Lord".  I've watched as professing Christians - people who claim to follow a Master who sacrificially and selflessly became the servant of others - go off the deep end because they didn't get extra pickles on their hamburger, or because they were shorted three french fries.  I've seen the worker roll their eyes, look at the person's attire, and smirk, as if to say, "Here we go again - it's the church-crowd; their clothes give them away."

I spoke with some workers last Sunday night at a local restaurant (I'll not mention the restaurant).  I asked them how their day had gone.  I could tell that they had worked extremely hard, and it hadn't been easy.  After talking to them, I couldn't take it any longer so I blurted out the question: "Are Sundays worse than other days?"  I think the question caught them off guard because their facial reactions gave the answer I was looking for.  It was a resounding YES!  Sundays are far worse than any other day of the week.  Christians in their Sunday best come in, take over, act like the world revolves around them, and leave.  Their children nearly destroy the place, while Mom and Dad pay no attention.

When we behave in this manner, we project a pitiful witness for Christ, dishonor the name of Christ, and make ourselves look like hypocrites in the process.

So, the next time you visit a restaurant after church, allow me to encourage you to take one of two actions.  Either be gentle, kind, loving and gracious (Christ-like) or go home and change clothes before you go eat.  That way people won't assume you've just came from church.  You won't look like a hypocrite and the name of Christ won't be dishonored.

2 comments:

  1. Great observation Justin! I too have watched this over the years and have had many waiters and waitresses tell me that the church crowd are the hardest to satisfy and notoriously bad tippers. The icing on the cake is when a party of 8 or 10 church people leave 2 or 3 dollars in a gospel tract as a tip. I pray the Lord will awaken us as His people to the needs of others around us. We may be missing the greatest opportunities for ministry in the commonplace life of day to day. May the Lord bless you as you continue to serve Him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I hate the tracts that look like a folded up $20 bill, but when you unfold it, it is a gospel tract. That is cruel! I think Satan came up with the idea for that one.

      Delete